The Alternative Braid is one of my absolute favorite hairstyles. I accidentally happened upon this braid two summers ago and I’ve never found one that I love just as much. The braid is so unique looking and after it’s been pancaked, it’s just so gorgeous. One thing that’s great about this style is that it works well if you have layers- a regular three strand braid won’t hide those short layers well, but the alternative braid keeps the shorter layers tucked nicely. I know I’ve already made a video tutorial for this style but I wanted to upgrade and give you a nice HD version. Because that’s how much I love you and this hairstyle haha!
I had the greatest opportunity to fly to Texas and spend the weekend with Mindy McKnight and her sweet family from Cute Girls Hairstyles. We decided to do a little collaboration video using the Alternative Braid hairstyle. Mindy is styling the braid on her daughter Brooklyn, and I’ll be showing how to style the braid on yourself. Make sure to watch both videos and subscribe if you haven’t already!
Step by step instructions:
- Tease the roots and pull all the hair over to one shoulder
- Split the hair into two separate sections
- Twist both sections towards each other using your index fingers
- Once you have an inch or so twisted, combine the two twists
- With your other hands index finger, push the finger through both twists
- And separate the twists into two next sections
- Repeat until you get to the end, tie off
- Go back through and pull and tug on the sections to give it a more full and voluminous look
Hints: Start this style with some texture or wear it when you’re hair is dirty. It’s a great third and fourth day style. People always get confused where to push their fingers through the twists, it’s really hard to explain so make sure to checkout the video to see exactly what I mean. But when you push your finger through, you’re basically separating the hair into two new sections. Spray the twist with hairspray and curl any bangs
Yes, we are definitely kindred spirits!
I styled the braided faux hawk on Mindy and look how gorgeous it looks with her pretty ombre coloring!
Mindy and Shawn were so inspiring and honestly the NICEST people Brian and I have ever met. There’s a reason why people are so captivated by their family! Go read their story here and become one of the millions who love and are inspired by their gorgeous family!