With all of the craziness in the stores and around the world right now, it can be hard to find what you need at the stores to keep your home clean. My good friend, Jenna Rammell is my go-to girl when it comes to switching out conventional cleaners for more natural ones. She’s here to tell us 3 ways to clean your home naturally, so you can lessen your dependence on store-bought cleaners!
Hi everyone, I’m Jenna Rammell. I’m a business woman, wife, and momma to 4. I’m obsessed with helping women to believe in themselves and in their abilities to take care of their families. I love sharing natural, toxin-free ways to live life and clean your home naturally. You can find me on my website HERE.
Here are 3 ways to clean your home naturally:
Many fragranced household products, such as air fresheners, dish soap, even toilet paper. Because of proprietary laws, companies don’t have to disclose what’s in their scents, so you won’t find phthalates on a label. If you see the word “fragrance” on a label, there’s a good chance phthalates are present. This is a known endocrine disruptor– this is harmful to breathe in + touch.
Get a New All-Purpose Cleaner
There are numerous “all-purpose” cleaning products on the market. These products usually contain detergents, grease-cutting agents, solvents + disinfectants. The specific chemicals in these ingredients include ammonia, ethylene glycol monobutyl acetate, sodium hypochlorite and/or trisodium phosphate. (I can’t even pronounce those names!) Depending on the ingredients used, all-purpose cleaners can irritate the skin, eyes, nose and throat. They can be highly poisonous to both humans and animals if swallowed. This is one of the easiest things to switch out to clean your home naturally.
Swap Toilet bowl cleaners + Oven cleaners.
Toilet cleaners contain the chemicals sodium hypochlorite or hydrochloric acid, or bleach. Most disinfectant cleaners are very irritating to your eyes and skin and will burn your throat.
The basic ingredient in oven cleaners is lye (consisting of either sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide). Lye is extremely corrosive and can burn your skin and eyes. It can cause severe tissue damage and may be fatal if swallowed.
None of this is meant to scare you, my intention is to educate you on what items + ingredients can be very harmful to you + your children. We are all trying our best, I’d love to help you in anyway that I can!
Abby here- thank you Jenna, for sharing these helpful tips with us! If you’re interested in learning more, be sure to follow Jenna on Instagram (Here and Here). I know this can seem overwhelming, but just making small changes to our household items can make a big difference to our health. And in uncertain times, it’s a big relief to know that I can make my own cleaners and household products!
This is the 3rd installment in Abby’s Survival Series, have you signed up for the weekly email yet?