This summer has been a crazy whirl wind of either trying to entertain the kids, feed them or pick up after them! I swear, where do they all find their energy?! And HOW do they destroy a perfectly clean home in minutes?! Because summer and snacking seem to be synonymous around here I wanted to share one of our very favorite recipes with you. We’ve been making these energy bites from Joyful Healthy Eats all summer long and my kids go absolutely nuts over them. They are DELICIOUS! Not only are they easy and fast to make, but the kids love helping me in the kitchen with them and they’re super healthy too!
Here’s what you’re gonna need:
– 1 1/2 cups of old-fashioned rolled oats
– 1/2 cup of ground flax seed
– 1 tablespoon of black chia seeds
– 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
– 1/3 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes (speaking of coconut flakes, have you tried my cowboy cookie recipe?!)
– 1/2 cup of raw honey
– 1/2 cup of almond butter
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
1. Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl… HAHA I told you it was super easy!
2. Form the mixture into 1″ balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You’re hands are gonna get messy — just embrace the experience guys. It’s like parenthood — you just gotta embrace the WHOLE experience hahaha!!
This is such a fun recipe to make with the kids, we hope you love it! Savy and Coop are usually the ones who wanna help me out in the kitchen but Savy was busy with her friends so Coop got me all to himself. Little one-on-one experiences like this are so rare, I soaked up every minute of it. Working in the kitchen though really is such a great opportunity to spend quality time with your kids, don’t dismiss it! Also don’t look now but his feet were SO DIRTY and I didn’t even know, gross gross gross!
What are some of your favorite summertime snacks for your kids? Comment below because I’m ALWAYS looking for suggestions!